A Cross-Discipline Software Conference for Everyone
If you want to attend an event where you can learn from a wide variety of perspectives, then our conference is for you. Abstractions is a multi-disciplinary conference that brings together everyone involved in modern software development to teach, learn, and connect. With three full days of amazing content from a huge list of diverse speakers, we hope you’ll join us and designers, developers, DevOps, managers, quality assurance, support, and community leaders from around the world.
Want some help convincing your manager? Download our toolkit!
Sign up so you can hear all of the latest Abstractions news including speakers and special events!
Abstractions features a lineup of world class software influencers that have shaped the way we all work.
Executive Director Software Freedom Conservancy, GNOME Foundation
CEO & co-founder of ZEIT/now.sh
J. Paul Reed
Build & release engineering / DevOps consultant
Developer Relations Engineer, Google Cloud Author, Learning Chef
Product Designer GM, AIGA Detroit, Author “Humane by Design”
Carnegie Mellon, Executive Director of the Scala Center
Founded first coding school for girls in Afghanistan
Github Rails core, Ruby core
Founder of CSS-Tricks, Co-founder Codepen, ShopTalk podcast
Netflix Engineering, Frontend Happy Hour Podcast
Design Technologist, Memorial Sloan Kettering
Senior Engineer, Tanium, Author, "Deliberate Git"
UX Lead, Shopify
Swedish YouTuber, Inventor, and Robot Enthusiast
Author, "Learn the Hard Way" series
Abstractions II will be held at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Ranked one of the world’s most liveable cities, the former steel city of Pittsburgh is now an advancing leader in education, robotics, and software engineering. Home to companies such as Duolingo, Oculus Research, Uber ATC, Google, and IBM Watson, Pittsburgh is a city of constant reinvention and resilience.
Be closer to the Abstractions community by staying at the official hotel of Abstractions II in the heart of downtown Pittsburgh.
Abstractions was created in 2016 by a tight-knit volunteer team as part of Code & Supply, a community of software professionals located in Pittsburgh, PA.
Abstractions considers the software creation process from all angles, working with experts of all experience levels, from students to industry veterans. Covered topics included:
- Remarkable Design
- Perspectives on Development
- Practical DevOps
- Effective Community & Leadership
- Impactful Support
- Distractions (a track for off-topic yet meaningful talks and experiences)
Touted as a forward thinking, “uniquely inclusive” experience, Abstractions II promises to be even more exciting and meaningful.
- Opensource.com: New tech event, Abstractions is forward-thinking
- Next Pittsburgh: Abstractions software conference will draw big developers to Pittsburgh
- Technical.ly: Code & Supply is here for Pittsburgh’s ‘awesome’ software community
- Business Insider: Engineers from Apple and Google are loving this viral Twitter challenge about describing their job in 5 words
- The Daily WTF: THE ABSTRACTIONS CONFERENCE: PITTSBURGH
- Abstractions Conference 2016: Full review and what to expect from 2017
- Abstractions Conference: A Uniquely Inclusive Experience
- The First-Ever Abstractions Conference: Why Your Software Company Should Go
- Abstractions Reflections
- Notes from Abstractions
Want to be the first to hear as we announce more exciting details? Sign up to our mailing lists.
Questions? Reach out to our team:
- Executive Director, Justin Reese email@example.com
- Sponsorship Director, Colin Dean firstname.lastname@example.org
- Programming Director, Sarah Withee email@example.com
- Director of Operations, Bartholomew Elliott firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marketing Director, Jackie Reese email@example.com
- Director of Guest Experience, Brigette Lefever firstname.lastname@example.org
- Talent Director, Jennifer Manning email@example.com
- Sponsorship & Marketing Coordinator, Matthew Beatty
- Adam Casto
- Heather Migliorisi
- Ari Rivera
- Jean Lange
- Sara Tang
- Jon Shaffer
- Maureen McElaney
- Seth Peasley